Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Meet the Thermometer Man
Richard T. Porter has earned the nickname “The Thermometer Man” by putting together a collection of around 5,000 thermometer of various shapes and sizes. More images after the break...
The small village of Onset, in Wareham, Massachusetts, may not be among the world’s top travel destination, but Richard T. Porter has been working long and hard to put this settlement on the tourist map. He spent decades putting together his thermometer collection and opened the Porter Thermometer Museum. The founder, curator and educator of this unusual museum has been featured by Ripley’s Believe Ir or Not, and is in the Guinness Book of Records for the world’s largest collection of thermometers.
After serving in the Korean War, Richard T. Porter returned to the US and began teaching junior high school science. He used thermometers to educate his students, and that’s when he fell in love with them. He began collecting them and also took up repairing broken thermometers and even got a reputation for his skill. Throughout the years he fixed old thermometers from as far as New Zealand.
His thermometer collection kept growing, and in 1990, when he lost his daughter to a brain tumor, he decided to build a thermometer museum, after his daughter made him promise he would do something with his collection. Along with his wife, Richard T. Porter traveled to all 50 American states and 20 other countries, on all seven continents, collecting thermometers. The museum was officially opened in 1993, and has earned Onset the title of “thermometer capital of the world”.
The 83-year-old Thermometer Man knows he won’t be around forever, and has already made arrangements to donate his extensive thermometer collection to the National Weather Museum, in Penn State. Most of his collection has already been moved there, but he still keeps a few of his beloved collectibles around, and keeps busy by giving presentations on thermometers and the hazards of mercury, to schools and other organizations.
Next time you’re looking for the most accurate temperature reading in the world, head over to the Thermometer Museum of Onset, and ask the Thermometer Man himself.
- ► 2012 (41)
- ► 2011 (28)
- Meet the Thermometer Man
- Animal Safari
- first Underwater Hanbok Fashion Show, Seoul
- Beautiful moss art and grass art
- Monkey business at Lopburi bhuddist Temple, Thaila...
- Cool Concrete Flooring Art (Interior Design)
- "Snot Otter" Sperm to Save Giant Salamander?
- Your Hair Reveals Whether You're a Morning Person
- "Firecane" Myth Busted—No Danger on Katrina Annive...
- Ancient Sorcerer's "Wake" Was First Feast for the ...
- Eid Formal Collection 2010
- Famous Buildings in Lego
- 12 Creative Motorcycles
- Teeth jewelry (10 images)
- Unbelievably Realistic Zombie Costumes (12 images)...
- Don't forget to feed ur dogs...!!
- 10 Most Amazing Illusions
- Rustic Hunting Cabin Converted to Calssic Victoria...
- Beauties In Black Saree
- How to look good in photos
- The Frog Jumping Festival of Valley City.
- How to make a crocodile smile:
- Oranutan Mother: A mother's love
- International Left Hander’s Day
- Coke Man - The Art Of Coca Cola Crates
- Solar Tower for the 2016 Olympic Games - Rio de Ja...
- Superb Lubrication Gel Ad
- Streets Dentists of India & China
- The Strongest Girl in The World
- Top 10 — Female Turn Ons
- Pictures: "Ghost" Robot Lets User Cuddle, Chat Rem...
- Oyster Herpes: Latest Symptom of Global Warming?
- Nano "Wiretap" Spies on Cells
- Friday the 13th Superstitions Rooted in Bible and ...
- Men judge women in milliseconds
- Beautiful Eco-Friendly Wooden House Made From Spec...
- Yoda - The cat with Four Ears
- The Interview with God
- 24 places NOT to see before you die (24 images)
- Hot Oktoberfest Lederhosen Babes (45 images)
- BCHO architects - scissor house
- I Want You to Live Longer
- Mouse Deer: Unusual Cute Animal
- Standing On Pointe - Dancing Girls
- Tips to be irresistable in bed
- Delicious Chocolate Treats
- It is Madness Part...1
- It is Madness Part...2
- It is Madness Part...3
- It is Madness Part...4
- It is Madness
- The Amazing Tree Man
- I Dont Want Increment
- Stuff No One Told Me
- Oxford Cardboard Boat Race
- How to Maintain Privacy While Using Computer
- Where Does The Time Go?
- ▼ August (57)